Sunday, December 12, 2010

Wen Did Shampoo Get So Expensive?

I have to admit. I am having a love affair with Wen Cleansing Conditioner by Chaz Dean. My hair is generally oily at the roots and fine and frizzy at the ends and nothing really makes it happy. I can use lifting products at the roots in the hope of getting some life out of it and drying out the oiliness. I can try and use conditioner just on the ends to try and get them to behave.



None of that really works well for me. I am a hairstylist by trade- before I had the boys to stay home with- and it was a bit of an embarassment that I just couldn't find products to make my hair work for me.

Then I saw the Wen Cleansing Conditioner on TV- QVC to be precise. I was SUPER skeptical because I felt like washing oil with conditioner probably wasn't going to work. But, nothing I had already tried worked so I figured, what the heck?

I tried it. And, boy, you have to use a truckload of that stuff as directed in the instructions for my length of hair. But, it rinsed clean- much cleaner than I expected. And, when it dried, it dried like I had used a flat iron on the ends. They were shiny and smooth but my roots weren't oily! It was like someone finally made a "combination" shampoo like they make cleansers for combination skin.

Trouble is? It costs a mint. I mean, seriously, it is costing me about $35 a month just to shampoo my hair. That is completely unacceptable. Yes, I can skip serums and shaving cream and other "finishing" hair products. I don't need to buy a separate conditioner. But, still- $35 a month?

So, I Googled how to make your own homemade Cleansing Conditioner. I found this! The Saved Quarter has a series of posts about this very topic.

I am following the recipe and directions except that I am subbing White Rain Coconut conditioner for her base. I am using all of the suggested additions and I am totally excited to try it.

I have recieved all of my ingredients except the Wild Cherry Bark Extract. It will be here in the next couple of days. I spent just over $50 on all of it (including shipping!) and it looks to be enough ingredients to last a long time. I'll just have to figure out if a local store carries the White Rain since I couldn't find it and had to order it online.

As soon as I get my last ingredient, I'll be whipping up a batch and giving it a test run.

When you consider that I was about to plunk down $185 for a gallon of the Wen (because it is the most economical way to buy it) it will be a welcome miracle for this concoction to become its replacement.

I'm firing up the bunsen burners and Beaker is standing at the ready!
Sababa Toys the Muppet Show 8" Beaker Plush Doll

1 comment: